Sunday, February 24, 2008

Gavin Benedict Smith - Born Friday, 2/22/08

We arrived at the hospital at 8AM Thursday, Feb. 21, 2008 to be induced; only to find out that I was already in labor and dilated to 2 cm (I had not been feeling the contractions, so I did know I was in labor); the contractions were coming every 4 to 5 minutes; so who knows how long that had been going on. At 7:30PM I was still only dilated to 2 cm, and still not really feeling contractions that were now coming every 2 to 3 minutes. There was another girl that came in to be induced at 8AM too - different doctor, and at 9PM her doctor took her of medication to induce her contractions and told her they would try again tomorrow. At 9PM my Doctor said we're having a baby tonight gave me medication to increase my contractions and broke my water - OUCH, feeling the contractions now! You all know I wanted an epidural and started asking for one at 10:30PM but the anesthesiologist didn't get to me for 2 hours and then it took another hour for it to kick in. LESSON: get the epidural much earlier, next time. Well, after that I felt much, much better, I even took a 45 minutes nap. At 3AM the nurse told me I was dilated to 10cm and it was just about time to start pushing. The nurse told me she wanted to turn off my epidural so I could feel to push, I told her NO WAY! I that I would prove to her I could push without feeling what I was doing. She told me it would take about 2 hours to get the baby from the cervix down the birth canal before he could be delivered and my doctor would arrive at 4:15AM, so I needed to spend some time getting the baby ready for delivery, before my doctor got there. Well, at 4:10AM I needed stop pushing because I was ready to deliver the baby and my doctor was just about to arrive - HA! I didn't need 2 hours! Dr. Ivery arrived at exactly 4:15AM and I only had to push 3 times to deliver Gavin, yeah! 8 pounds, 7 ounces, 20.5 inches long, head 13.75 inches around and I'm going to need some stitches! OUCH, again!







Here's a video of his 0 Birthday Party!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwwwww that's so cute haha... i can't wait to see him! love you!

Jennifer said...

Congratulations! Gavin is adorable.

Trish and Matt said...

Sweet Gavin! Congrats -- you look great, Angela. So happy to hear it all went well.

I hear ya on the epidural woes. My first one was great, but when I had my second baby in Switzerland, the epidural they gave me did nothing. I kept asking for more and they said they had given me the maximum dose. We called it "epidural light." Those Europeans are such naturalists!

Lauren said...

Yeah! Glad to hear all is well! That was a lovely solo Steve!! :) All our love! Get some rest while you've got help!

The Price Family said...

You are awesome Ani! You showed em how to do it:) He is a cutie and I know he will only get cuter! Love Ya Girl!

Jeff & Melissa said...

Congrats! I am glad everything went well...your baby boy is adorable!

Cammi said...

A-dor-a-ble! How great! How fun to have family there! I hope to meet the big guy soon.

Cameron Family said...

Hi, I am an old friend of Steve's from FL! Congrats on your new baby...He is a cutie and will bring you lots and lots of joy...and late nights. :)

Lara said...

Gavin is adorable (I really like the name too)! You look wonderful and I love Steve's "who let the dogs out" in the birthday video.

Unknown said...

Congrats Stevie B he is a cutie must look like his mom :-)

elenapena said...

Oh Angela, and you were worried about the cuteness level of your newborn. Still worried?

You're smart, girl, my nurses told me the same thing about the epidural. Actually, they never told me, they just stopped the supply and I was dying. My doctor came in and was like "What the ... PUSH THAT BUTTON" ... so, lesson learned!

Good job Angela! You are one hot Momma with one cute baby!!!

amy said...

I am an old friend of Steve's from Florida and I am so excited to see that everything went great with your new little one. He is super cute!! Enjoy all the fun times you have coming up and don't blink...They grow up so fast!

Sara said...

CONGRATS! I love the name. You look FANTASTIC. I will not be showing you my hospital photos. :)

Kristen Bailey said...

Congratulations! The baby is beautiful. Way to go Angela! I miss you...